Monday, December 6, 2010

We all Experience it…Nostalgia

Nostalgia- a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time.

So I never thought I’d say it! Actually, I vowed I’d never say it and if you would have told me 6 months ago that I would be writing this I would have laughed in your face. But, I have to admit I miss Syracuse.

I could devote this whole post to all the things that I miss but here are just a few… my Supercard/ Plus Account (food, movie tickets, and laundry take on a whole new meaning when you have you use real money!), my roomies, sitting in Schine for hours at a time doing nothing productive, Wings, my line sisters, Marshall street, seeing familiar faces on a daily basis, Saturday nights in Schine/Sky Barn/Kimmel, the comfort of being in a familiar place, and of course all the people I grew to love!

Since I miss all of that and I am on a little break from school, at the end of last week I made my way to the Port Authority, got on a Greyhound( I DEFINETLY said I would NEVER do that again), and made my way back to my Alma Mater. Of course I was greeted by a wintery mix of snow, slush, rain, and sleet (something you will never understand unless you have spent a winter in upstate New York).

Despite the typical Syracuse weather I had a WODNERFUL trip. It was a short but I was able to jam a lot in. I got to catch up /see a lot of people, reconnect with some of my advisors, spend my AKAversary(3 years and counting) with my loves, attend a creations show, get a mani, eat at Blue Monkey and Appthaizing, Spend some time and Lucy’s and the Sheraton, relax, and enjoy some good laughs with some good people.

Reflecting on my trip and my experience as an undergrad I laugh at the fact that I once thought I would never miss Syracuse. When I really think about it of course I would miss a place that contributed so much to my growth, a place where I was able to experience things that would have never been possible elsewhere, a place with so many resources, a place where I developed lifelong friendships, and a place that believe it or not became my second home for 4 years.

I am sure if you think about it there is something, someplace, or someone in your life that you miss. We all at some point in time have moved to a new place, lost someone special, began a new job, or started at a new school. Whatever you’re “something new” may be feelings of Nostalgia may be inevitable, and for good reason.

Many people say it is not good to dwell on the past, but I believe it is important to remember where we come from, where we have been, the people we come across, the experiences we have, and the lessons we learn along the way.

The things that we today deem as our past have significantly impacted who we are today (good or bad), and serve as a reminder of why/how we got into our current situation. Our past can sometimes also severe as the motivation we need in order to get through a certain situation, or deal with the “something new” in our life.

Going back to Syracuse reminded me of all the support, and hard work it took to get me to where I am today, and gave me some encouragement and relaxation I was in desperate need of.

As I wrap this up this entry I would like to remind you all of the importance of the past because as cliché as it might sound, our past does shape, and impact our future in ways we might not even think possible.

Here are the only three pics I took on my trip!

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it any better! BTW, we all never had our lunch before we left, we'll have to visit SU again when I get back =).

    Lovely entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww... this is special. You are a blessed woman to have experienced this, not everyone has the luxury/blessing of being nostalgic about college. It's such a beautiful thing...

    -sous

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...