Wednesday, July 14, 2010

“It’s a Different World”



I have always loved the show “A Different World”!


For the past few weeks I have spent countless hours watching re-runs of “A Different World” on YouTube (Yeah I have had some free time, lol); and although I have watched this show for almost all of my life I never realized its importance until recently.


When I was younger I enjoyed the show simply for its comedic relief. Today, over twenty years since the start of the show viewers can still be assured a good laugh while watching any episode of “A Different World”. As I got older however my love for the show deepened; and my reasons for loving the show expanded.


While in College I enjoyed the show because I could relate to the characters, and their experiences as college students, and because it gave me an excuse to watch Nick at Night every night for almost two years when I should have been doing something productive (like my homework). Also it was WONDERFUL to watch a show on television with characters that looked like me and most of my friends, doing something productive like getting a college degree. Because the characters on the show were dealing with issues such as such as living away from home for the first time, meeting people from all walks of life, pulling all nighters, deciding which party to attend, and joining community service/social organizations I found comfort in watching them, simply because I was experiencing many of the same things.


Today, what I enjoy most about “A Different World” (other my crush on the character Dwayne, played by Kadeem Hardison), is that I can still enjoy the show for the reasons I have mentioned above and many more! Catching up on episodes of “A Different World” now that I am a little older and more informed, has shown me that the issues addressed on the show such as Prayer, Freedom, Friendship, Sex, Racism, Dating ,Rape, classism, HIV/AIDS span fare beyond the scope of any college campus, and as a result people of all ages can relate to and benefit for the show.


Today we live in A Very Different world than the late 80’s and early 90’s when the show “A Different World” was a hit series, and this is clearly evident by the shows that are on television today. Now don’t get me wrong, anyone who knows me is aware that I watch my fair share of what many people might consider trash, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I have watched a television show that speaks to, and accurately portrays the experiences of young Black people in America today. Although Shows such as “A Different World” and “The Cosby Show”, are not accurate depictions of life for many people in this country, they are positive and lack many of the stereo types that are the basis of many television shows today. If one cannot directly relate to the characters they can become inspired, and educated by their many experiences all while enjoying what I like to call good television!


***If or when you have some free time, you should check out some old episodes of “A Different World”, just YouTube “A Different World”.


4 comments:

  1. Well said. I used to think I was born to be Whitley...and so did my parents. So glad, in retrospect, that that isn't my story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and yes A Different World does do a pretty decent job of depicting the college life of Black students. And as you said we do live in a very different world from when this show started, I think because of all the focus on reality tv, there isn't going to be any shows of substances for a while....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore A Different World too! Glad you get what I get when I watch it! Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady!

    Do you know that if it weren't for "A Different World' I wouldn't have even gave college a second thought. That show made me WANT to goto college, i wanted to be surrounded by all the pretty girls, and collegiate intellects, nerds and jocks, social lites and heavies... all of it. I was fascinated. Plus, I was totally infatuated with Freddie... LoL but then who could resist Winifred?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...